This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
In all my years as a professional chef and Bold Baker, I have eaten my fair share of carrot cake. Carrot cake is all about the balance of a carrot’s earthy sweetness, the lovely texture of raisins, coconut and pineapple, and the unforgettable richness of cream cheese frosting. Not only is this an easy carrot cake recipe but my method is pretty revolutionary if I say so myself. Instead of baking this full three-layer carrot cake in the oven (don’t worry, it can still be done) I cooked it in minutes inside of the microwave!
Mixing the Recipe
While microwave-baking (or micro-baking) may be new to you, this cake batter will be very familiar to most of you bakers. This carrot cake starts with the same wholesome ingredients as my 3-Layer Microwave Cake and my Microwave Red Velvet Cake. After combining the usual flour, sugar, oil and egg, I add in the things that make this carrot cake so unique: the freshly grated carrot, tart pineapple, chewy raisins and tropical coconut. I use these microwave safe silicone pans for my cakes but you can use any glass pan or something that can go into the microwave — just not a metal tin.
How do you bake a cake in the microwave?
This microwave cake is beyond simple to make. Just like my original microwave cake recipes, this cake uses the microwave to steam the batter from the inside out as opposed to baking it from the outside in – with the added benefit of saving time. After microwaving each layer of cake for a mere 3 and 1/2 minutes, you’ll have an extremely tender and moist cake. No one will believe you made this deeply flavorful cake in the span of a few minutes.
What can I add to carrot cake?
As all of you know I’m a huge advocate for simple desserts but that doesn’t mean the flavors have to lack in complexity. This gorgeous spring dessert is fully loaded with tons of freshly grated carrots, aromatic cinnamon, shredded coconut, sweet raisins and crushed pineapple. While these flavors are beautifully complimentary of each other, I want to encourage you to make this Microwave Carrot Cake your own masterpiece! Be bold and add in what YOU like. I think some lovely swaps or additions would be golden raisins, walnuts or pecans and maybe even a bit of freshly grated orange zest. Or feel free to go the other way – if you’re not a big fan of raisins, simply leave them out.
How To Decorate a Carrot Cake
When it comes to cake, the frosting and decoration on the outside is just as important as the inside. To make the best carrot cake recipe, cream cheese frosting is a must and this cake and my Best Ever Cream Cheese Frosting may just be the ultimate winning combo. Rustic cakes are the new in-thing and for good reason. Their easy design is to-the-point and elegant and that is why I frost this cake super simply and in the “naked” free-form fashion. My cream cheese frosting is really easy to work with so I just use a large offset spatula to smooth the rich frosting all over this cake. Then I pipe extra dollops of cream cheese icing all along the outside and top each one with homemade white chocolate carrots for a carrot celebration (see the video above for more info on how to create these adorable white chocolate decorations). Otherwise, feel free to keep things simple or get creative and decorate this cake however you like!
Looking for more simple dessert recipes? These quick and easy desserts will be up your ally:
Watch The Recipe Video!
Microwave Carrot Cake Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups (12 1/2oz/355g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (16oz/450g) sugar
- 4 eggs , room temperature
- 1 cup (8floz/225ml) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (8oz/225g) peeled grated carrot
- 3/4 cup (3 3/4oz/106g) raisins
- 3/4 cup (2 1/4oz/64g)) shredded coconut
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) pineapple, crushed and strained
- 1 batch Best Ever Cream Cheese Frosting
- Generously butter 3 9-inch microwave safe silicone cake molds.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl combine sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla with a hand mixer. Mix until pale yellow and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes. You can also do this using a hand whisk.
- Using a whisk incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Lastly fold in the grated carrot, raisins, coconut and pineapple.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 3 molds.
- Microwave each layer individually for roughly 3 1/2- 4 minutes or until firm on top and there is no more wetness. This timing is based on my 1200 Watt microwave so check the wattage of your microwave because your timing may vary.
- Once each layer has been microwaved allow to cool for 3-5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Once the cake has completely cooled you can frost it with my Best Ever Cream Cheese Frosting.
- To assemble: Put your first layer of cake on your serving platter or cake stand. Using a large offset spatula spread a big dollop of the frosting evenly across the cake. Stack the next layer of cake on top of the frosted first layer and repeat the process until all 3 layers have been frosted.
- Next, apply a crumb coat or thin layer of frosting around the entire outside of the cake. Do not worry about this looking perfect as its meant to be rustic.
- Lastly, decorate the top of the cake. Fill a piping bag with the remaining frosting. Pipe dollops of frosting all across the top of the cake in a circular pattern working from the outside of the cake in. Lastly, decorate the top of the cake with white chocolate carrots. See the video below to learn how to make these decorations.
- Store at room temperature for up to 3 days.