Hi Bold Bakers!
Every baker needs a master recipe for Fluffy Thick Buttermilk Pancakes, It is a must!
I have tried every recipe under the sun for American style pancakes and hands down this is thee best recipe I have. To say that it is tried and tested is an understatement. I used to have a breakfast catering business in San Fransisco where I would create elaborate, over-the-top breakfasts (sound familiar?). I had never made buttermilk pancakes before but I was determined to master the Perfect Buttermilk Pancakes because I wanted to make those thick stacks of fluffy, light pancakes that you got in diners. I was convinced that everyone was using boxed pancake mix and that’s how they got perfect pancakes every time. I am actually pretty sure most diners do use box mix however that’s not for me.
God bless the poor guinea pigs I catered for because regardless of the result they ate them. But without my hungry audience and the demand for “bigger and bolder” breakfasts I never would have created Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, Churro Waffles and Cinnamon Roll Pancakes.
However where it all started was this basic humble recipe for Buttermilk Pancakes.
There is a skill to making the perfect Buttermilk Pancakes. After making 1000’s of them I have mastered it. It comes down to 2 very simple things: mixing the pancakes and the mixing in your melted butter.
Don’t overtax your pancakes!!! It is soon tempting, I know. I still do it, but DONT! The less the you mix, the thicker and fluffier they will be. All of those lumps that you are worried about will disappear when the pancakes rest.
Let the dough rest in the fridge for 20 minutes before you use it. This allows the butter to set, so when they hit the hot griddle the butter will create steam, and steam evaporates and creates bubble! Boom! Science lesson.
- 2 Cups (10oz/280g) all - purpose flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 3 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 2 Cups (16 floz/ ½ litre/480ml) Buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp (2oz/60g) melted butter
- First, melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a jug, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract
- Add the liquid to the dry mix and starting lightly mixing together. The secret to thick, fluffy pancakes is not to over mix. My trick is to stir it enough times to spell P.A.N.C.A.K.E, and then stop.
- Slowly drizzle in the cooled butter and stir another 3 times. Lumps are ok, resist the urge to mix more
- Put in the fridge for 10 minutes. This helps the butter to chill and bubbles to form in your batter.
- Put a heavy bottom frying pan or griddle on medium heat-low heat.
- Spoon one big spoon of the batter per pancake.
- Cook for roughly 4 minutes on one side. It is time to turn them over when you see bubbles forming on the top of the pancake and the edges turn color (forming bubbles on top is really important because they hold your pancake up and keep it thick, I call them pancake pillars :))
- Flip and cook for another on the other side a little longer, until brown. Enjoy with butter and maple syrup.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
8 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.