Hi Bold Bakers!
Ok, Snowball Cookies are hands down without a doubt one of my favorite cookies! For those of you who have never made or eaten these that may come as a surprise to you but it’s true. Snowball Cookies, also known as Mexican Wedding Cookies, are a holiday must in my house and soon to be in yours, too!
Snowball cookies are an unusual combination of ground pecans, lots of butter, flour and a bit of sugar. The cookies themselves are not that sweet but are extremely rich from the butter and nutty from the pecans. The combination of this almost savory interior with the sweet exterior of powdered sugar is just plain heavenly!
I love to grind up my pecans in a food processor then add them to the rest of the ingredients. This insures each bit is even in texture and full of that pecan flavor. You can mix this dough up in one bowl using a hand mixer or just a large whisk.
After the dough comes together you form them into perfect little snowball shapes. These bake for just a short 12 minutes before they are bathed in a generous amount of powdered sugar while still warm. The warmth of the cookies heats the sugar coating them with a lovely layer of sweetness and it does not stop there. After completely cooling these little snowballs get second dip in powdered sugar. This is what makes the flavor of these cookies so over the top, a super sweet and thick outside layer with a pecan spiked buttery interior. If you’ve never made these before, now is the time. If you want to be bold this holiday season I highly recommend these delicious festive cookies!
Get more Holiday Cookies and baking tips and tricks at my Holiday Baking Headquarters page.
- 1 cup (8oz/250g) butter, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (10oz/300g) all purpose flour
- 2 cups (8oz/240g) pecans (ground or very finely chopped)
- 1½ cups (6oz/180g) confectioners’ sugar
- Using a large whisk or and electric mixer cream together butter and sugar. Beat in the vanilla and salt.
- Gradually add flour beating after each addition. Stir in the nuts; mix until fully incorporated.
- Divide dough in half and refrigerate in plastic food wrap for approximately 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange oven rack in middle of oven and preheat to 35oºF (180oC) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl, set aside.
- After chilling roll the dough between palms of hands to achieve a small rounded ball 1 inch ball.
- Place dough balls 1½ inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven until the cookies are just beginning to brown for 14 minutes. Do not overbake. The underside of the cookies should be only lightly browned. And the cookies should not crack.
- Cool cookies on baking sheets for approximately 5 minutes. Remove cookies from baking sheets using a metal cookie spatula. While cookies are still warm, gently roll them in the confectioners’ sugar.
- Place the sugar-coated cookies on wire racks to cool completely. Once cooled roll cookies in the confectioners’ sugar for a second time.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
3 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.