Hi Bold Bakers!
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day so I say, nice and loud, Easy Souffle Pancakes anyone? When it comes to breakfast I definitely would put my hand up for pancakes over an omelette. There is just something so comforting and satisfying about soft pancakes covered in syrup that is a real treat. This Easy Soufflé Pancake has the best of both worlds. It is thick like a pancake and soft and delicate like a soufflé.
If you have made my Best Ever Homemade Pancake Mix you will know I like my pancakes THICK! How we achieve that is to make them “soufflé like” and lighten them up with whipped egg whites. Fold them gently into your mix, and just wait and see how fluffy they get.
Simply cook this pancake on a stove top covered with a lid to help cook it all the way through. Then for a finishing touch, pop it under the grill to get a nice golden finish on top. Dust with some icing sugar and a generous drizzle of maple syrup and you are off to the races.
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (2floz/60ml) cream
- ¼ cup (2floz/60ml) milk
- ¼ cup (1¼ oz/40g) all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon caster/granulated sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons (1oz/30g) melted butter
- 5 strawberries, quartered
- 3 tablespoons blueberries
- maple syrup to serve
- In a bowl, beat together the egg yolks, cream and milk.
- Add the flour, sugar and salt slowly stirring until just combined. Lastly stir in the melted butter and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. It is ok to leave some lumps, they will work themselves out in the cooking.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-inch nonstick ovenproof skillet, or heavy cast-iron skillet with butter, over medium heat.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Cover with a saucepan lid and cook gently until the bottom of the pancake is lightly browned and bubbles appear around the edges, approximately 5 - 8 minutes.
- Add the berries gently on top of the batter.
- Place the saucepan under a low grill or broiler and cook until the top of the pancake is brown and the center is just set, roughly 2-3 minutes.
- Gently slide the pancake onto a serving platter, dust with powdered sugar and whisk it to the table. Serve with more sliced strawberries and raspberries and drizzle with maple syrup.
If you don't have cream you can use milk instead
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
1 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.