Hi Bold Bakers!
People often try and replicate those fluffy, soft buttermilk pancakes that come from a box pancake mix. I’m going to do you one better and show you how you can make your own homemade dry mix and get the same results.
- 2 cups (10oz/280g) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- To make the batter add:
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 2 cups (16 fl oz/ ½ litre) buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons (2oz/60g) flavorless oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Place into a sealable bag and store for up to 2 months.
- To make the pancake batter: Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, oil and vanilla extract, if using.
- Add the liquid to the dry mix and starting lightly mixing together. The secret to thick, fluffy pancakes is not to over mix. Lumps are ok, resist the urge to mix more.
- Put a heavy bottom frying pan or griddle on medium heat-low heat.
- Spoon one big spoon of the batter per pancake.
- Cook for roughly 4 minutes on one side. It is time to turn them over when you see bubbles forming on the top of the pancake and the edges turn color (forming bubbles on top is really important because they hold your pancake up and keep it thick, I call them pancake pillars.
- Flip and cook on the other side a little longer, until brown. Enjoy with butter and maple syrup.
I’m no stranger to Buttermilk Pancakes. I used to have a catering business where I specialized in over-the-top breakfasts. My most popular breakfasts were on Fridays where I would make crazy pancakes and waffles.
If you are a breakfast aficionado, you will really enjoy these recipes. Far from a normal breakfast they will soon make it your favorite meal of the day.
Looking for more homemade mixes that are better than store-bought? Get my Homemade Dry Cake Mix recipe.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
6 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.