This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
If you want a bright, rich, simple, and quick dessert — you’ve come to the right place. Plus, just look at it! It’s gorgeous, and I’m not one to get into the weeds about decorating. I’m the first to admit that decorating is not my thing, but I love how this looks and turned out.
The best part is that you don’t have to use the same exact fruit as I did. Use any fresh, juicy fruit of your choice, because when you put it on cold, sweet, creamy pastry cream and a flaky, crispy puff pastry, it will always be delicious!
This recipe uses a couple of my other popular recipes, too. So open up my Crème Pâtissière (Pastry Cream) recipe and my Easy Puff Pastry recipe and have them ready! You can use store-bought puff pastry if you’d like, though, that’s completely fine!
What Is A Summer Fruit Tart?
Tarts are great because they’re simple. Cream, pastry, and fruit. A summer fruit tart is just an easy tart that you top with your favorite fruit in season during the summer!
What You Need To Make A Summer Fruit Tart
- A batch of my Simple Pastry Cream
- An Easy Puff Pastry for the shell, can be store-bought
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
How To Make A Summer Fruit Tart
Ready to see how easy this is? If you have the pastry cream and puff pastry ready, it’s this simple (get the full recipe with measurements below):
Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper — this will keep everything from sticking and make clean up so much easier!
Cut the puff pastry into a 9-inch circle, then place on the prepared baking sheet, then bake according to the directions on the package (if store bough, which is totally fine) until puffed and golden, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool completely.
Place the baked pastry on a serving plate and press down gently in the center to flatten it slightly, leaving a 1-inch rim.
Spread the pastry cream.
Arrange the sliced fruit and/or berries on top of the cream.
Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips For Making Summer Tarts
- This tart is as good as the fruit you have – use only the best, ripe, juicy, and in-season fruit you can find.
- This recipe will only work with fresh fruit, not frozen.
- The pastry cream in this recipe should be set and chilled before you use it.
- This tart will not keep well once it is assembled. To make it in advance, bake the pastry and store it at room temperature for up to one day.
- The pastry cream can be made and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days and the cut fruit in the refrigerator for a few hours. Assemble just before you serve it.
Make More Pie!
- The Only Blueberry Pie Recipe You Need
- Classic Cherry Pie
- Perfect Peach Pie
- How to Make Perfect Pie Crust
- Gluten-Free Pie Crust
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe below!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Quick & Simple Summer Fruit Tart Recipe
- 1 sheet (8 ½ oz/245g) store-bought puff pastry (defrosted)
- 1 recipe homemade pastry cream
- 2 cups (10oz/284g) fresh sliced fruit and/or berries
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the puff pastry into a 9-inch circle, place on the prepared baking sheet, and bake according to the directions on the package until puffed and golden, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Place the baked pastry on a serving plate and press down gently in the center to flatten it slightly, leaving a 1-inch rim.
- Spread the pastry cream on the flattened pastry.
- Arrange the sliced fruit and/or berries on top of the cream. Serve immediately.