This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Thumbprint Cookies are one of my favorite Christmas Cookies to bake during the holiday season. Whether I’m baking up treats to give as gifts or just to have at my own family get-together, homemade sweets are a must, and these little cookies are always a big hit!
What are thumbprint cookies?
Thumbprint Cookies are an absolute classic, beloved by all, but not always homemade. These delightful sweet and fruity cookies are way easier to make than they look. These cookies are simply made with a super buttery and rich sugar cookie dough, filled with a touch of fruity jam, in this case raspberry. There really is nothing like the rich and flaky texture of this special cookie, with that soft, fruity, jammy center. You will love to give these cookies as gifts as they really are so impressive. No one will believe you made them at home.
How to make thumbprint cookies
The best part of this Thumbprint Cookie recipe is that it is made from only 5 basic ingredients, butter, flour, sugar, almond extract and raspberry jam. Apart from the jam, all the ingredients are mixed up in one bowl, then formed into little balls. Next you press into them with your thumb, creating that perfect little well, this is where they get their name.
What to fill thumbprint cookies with
To each well, drop in the tiniest bit of raspberry jam, but you can really use any fruit jam your like. After each thumbprint is filled with jam these cookies bake for just 15 minutes. This makes them the perfect holiday cookie, they are minimal effort, maximum impact and of course full of flavor! Give these a try and I guarantee they will become an instant family favorite.
Have you seen my Holiday Baking Headquarters page? You’ll find every recipe you could possibly need for the holidays including Christmas Cookies, edible gifts and my best holiday baking tips!
If you like these you’ll love these other classic holiday cookies!
Follow Bigger Bolder Baking on Pinterest for more recipes and ideas!
Buttery Jam Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) butter, room temperature
- ⅔ cup (5oz/142g) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups (10oz/282g) all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (2½oz/75g) raspberry jam
- In a large mixing bowl combine the butter, granulated sugar and almond extract.
- Beat at medium speed until evenly combined. Scrape sides of mixing bowl as needed.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the flour and salt. Mix until a dough is formed. Pull the dough together into a ball, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour preheat oven to 350oF (180oC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop the dough using a tablespoon scoop. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared pan. Make an indentation in the center of each cookie with your thumb (The edges of the dough may crack slightly). Fill each with ¼ teaspoon jam.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let the cookies stand 1 minute before removing to a cooling rack.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days.