This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Store bought Gummies can tend to have a ton of foreign, unpronounceable ingredients in them that would make you wonder, so I wanted to show you how you can make them yourself with just a few ingredients and with all natural sugars, that’s it!
Being able to bake is great for a lot of reasons, one in particular is so you know and can control what goes into your food. My one rule of thumb is to put in good ingredients and get great resutls out, that applies to all of your baking.
The main ingredient in my Homemade Gummies is real fruit strawberries. The sweetness comes from the fruit and honey so there are no artificial sugars or flavors.
My Homemade Gummies are set with gelatin. I recommend using a good quality grass fed and unflavored gelatin. To make vegan gummies you can easily substitute the honey for agave and the gelatin for agar powder. Agar is suitable for vegetarians because it’s derived from red seaweed so both work well.
Valentine's Day Strawberry Gummies
- 1 cup (50z/142g) strawberries (fresh or frozen and defrosted )
- ⅓ cup (21/2floz/71ml) water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey (or agave)
- 4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin*
- Puree the fruit in a food processor until smooth.
- Combine all ingredients except gelatin in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir with a whisk.
- When it comes to a simmer gradually sprinkle and whisk the gelatin into the mixture, stirring constantly. (Avoid dumping gelatin into pan all at once, which will cause big globs of gelatin to remain in finished product.)
- Continue heating over medium-low heat until it comes to a simmer and all ingredients are well combined and gelatin is completely melted. (The mixture will change from a grainy, jelly-like consistency to a more glassy, smooth consistency when gelatin is all melted.)
- Take it off the heat and pass it through a sieve to remove any gelatin of fruit bits. If there are bubbles on top remove with a spoon.
- Place the heart shaped mold on a cookie sheet (which makes it easier to move without spilling once filled). Pour mixture into silicone mold and place in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours. Any air bubbles that appear just pop with a toothpick.
- Carefully pop the hearts out of mold and store in an airtight container in the fridge. They will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks.
For vegan gummies replace the honey with agave and the gelatin with agar agar (a plant based setting agent)