Hi Bold Bakers!
As the main course to my 3-course Mother’s Day Brunch, I knew I wanted to create something really impressive and rich! I started off the brunch extravaganza with a Blueberry Muffin Smoothie, followed by my Breakfast Parfait, which is just perfect alongside a generous warm slice of this Savory Bacon and Cheese Strata! This is a show stopping dish sure to impress all the wonderful mums out there!
We all know and love classic bread pudding made from sliced bread and sweet custard. Well, with just a few tweaks I’ve created something absolutely delicious with this savory version.
It starts just like any other Bread Pudding by using bread and custard, but then it takes a turn with the addition of sharp cheddar cheese, crispy bacon and fresh parsley. After the whole thing sits and marries together, I bake it in a springform tin. Feel free to add your mum’s favorite ingredients, and you can always substitute the bacon if you prefer.
After just 45 minutes in the oven, the top is golden brown, covered with bubbly cheese and filled with crispy bacon. I can’t imagine anything more delicious for Mother’s Day than a slice of this decadent Strata served with a refreshing Blueberry Muffin Smoothie and a sweet Breakfast Parfait. You must give these a try, I guarantee it will make your Mammy feel so special!
- 10 slices of bacon
- 6 eggs
- 1¼ cup (10oz/300ml) milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 7 cups (14oz/420g) lightly packed baguette / french stick cut into 2 cm / 1 inch cubes (preferably slightly stale)
- 2 cups (6oz/189g) grated cheddar cheese
- Parsley, finely chopped for garnish
- Heat a large non stick pan over high heat (Use a bit of oil if not using non stick). Add all but 2 tbsp of bacon (reserve for topping) and cook until lightly browned. Remove from the frying pan and drain on a paper towel.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Place the bread in a large bowl and pour in the egg mixture, cheese and cooked bacon. Gently fold together and set aside in the fridge for at 30 minutes to over night, until all the egg is soaked into the bread.
- To Cook
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Spray a 21cm/8" springform cake tin. Pour the bread mixture into the cake tin, pat down the bread cubes to compress and scatter with remaining uncooked bacon and remaining ½ cup cheese. Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes until bubbly and golden on top.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before removing the springform and cutting into slices to serve. Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
5 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.