This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
I know I’ve shown you time and time again how to be a bold baker, but this gem of a recipe is here to show you how to be bold at breakfast! My Bacon and Cheese Breakfast Strata takes the most important meal of the day to an entirely new level. This breakfast is really just a savory bread pudding piled high with gooey tangy cheddar, crispy bacon, and topped off with fresh herbs. Held together by a rich eggy custard, it takes all the best parts of breakfast — the egg, bacon, and toast — and transforms into a super impressive slice-able dish!
What is a Strata?
Similar in flavor to a quiche, a strata is a savory bread pudding. Just like bread pudding, my breakfast strata starts with good bread and egg custard. I like to use slightly stale crusty bread as this really helps to absorb the custard creating a lovely soft spongy texture to the strata after baking.
The egg custard mixture is where everything gets exciting, because not only do I add the traditional cream, but I add lots of cheese, cooked bacon, and green onion. After soaking and baking the result is a gorgeous savory looking pie, perfect for slicing and feeding a big crowd. Whomever you share this with will surely be coming back for seconds and thirds!
Can a Strata be Made Ahead?
Since the custard needs time to soak into the bread and marry all the other flavors, this is a great option for a make-ahead breakfast. You can assemble the strata a night in advance and allow it to soak and set up in the fridge. Instead of worrying about fussy scrambled eggs or omelets I highly suggest you give this a try for your next special brunch occasion!
What Can I Add to My Strata?
Get More Breakfast Recipes!
And don’t forget to follow Bigger Bolder Baking on Pinterest!
Bacon & Cheese Breakfast Strata Recipe
- 6 eggs
- 1¼ cup milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 7 cups lightly packed baguette / french stick cut into 2 cm /
- 1 inch cubes (preferably slightly stale)
- 10 slices of bacon , cooked
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Parsley , finely chopped for garnish
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Place the bread in a large bowl and pour in the egg mixture, cheese and cooked bacon. Gently fold together and set aside in the fridge for an hour or until all the egg is soaked into the bread. (I leave mine overnight in the fridge for really good soakage)
- To Cook: Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C
- Grease a 21cm/8″ springform cake tin. Pour the bread mixture into the cake tin, pat down the bread cubes to compress and scatter over a little more bacon and cheese if you have it. Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until firm to touch in the middle. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before removing the springform and cutting into slices to serve.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!