Hi Bold Bakers!
When I started experimenting with Crazy Dough I was so glad to find out it made great pretzels. Just to recap if you are finding out about Crazy Dough for the first time it is one simple, no knead yeast dough you can use to make a variety of completely different breads like Naan, Homemade Pizza and even Cheesy Bread loafs. All you need is my easy Master Recipe.
I cannot wait to show you how to transform my Crazy Dough Master Recipe into Crazy Dough Pretzels! I absolutely love to make pretzels. There really is something special about tearing off a piece of chewy salty bread and dipping them into a cheesy sauce or special mustard or enjoying them all on their own.
Just like any other pretzel dough all I did was divide my Crazy Dough into 10 parts. From there I stretch each piece into a long skinny snake and twist it around itself to form that classic pretzel shape. This sounds complex but it’s really fun and easy. Be sure to have a look at my other homemade soft pretzels video to see how to perfect your pretzel making technique.
After shaping each pretzel I popped them into a pot of boiling water mixed with baking soda. This is the secret to that chewy pretzel texture. Lastly after just 30 seconds poaching in the water I brushed each pretzel with egg to make it shine, sprinkled them generously with salt and popped them into the oven for just 15 minutes. This is definitely one of my favorite ways to use my crazy dough recipe simply because pretzels are something you never think to make at home. You have to give these a try, they are just as fun to make as they are to eat!
- 1 Crazy Dough Recipe
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 6 cups (48floz/1,440ml) water
- 6 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 egg beaten for brushing
- Once your crazy dough recipe has proofed turn out onto a floured surface and divide into 8 balls.
- While the balls of dough are resting boil 6 cups of water with 6 teaspoons of baking soda and line a large baking trey with parchment paper.
- To shape: take each piece of dough and begin rolling them on the counter. Bang the dough on the counter like I do in my classic pretzel video. You may need to shape into a long log but they will just naturally get longer and longer. Keep going until you reach 20-24 inches (60 cm). Twist the ends of the dough and press onto the the opposite sides of the pretzel.
- Put straight into boiling water with baking soda and poach for JUST 30 seconds, then place on a baking tray. This boiling step is the secret to firm skin and adds that pretzel flavor.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt
- Bake 450oF (225oC) for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
21 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.