Hi Bold Bakers!
To get the best piping results, it’s really important to correctly fill your piping bag. This is easier said than done, so I’m going to show you the easiest and cleanest way to do it.
How to Fill a Piping Bag:
- I use a precut piping bag or a plastic bag with just the very tip of the corner snipped off.
- Place the piping nozzle into the bag and push into the opening at the corner of the bag to secure (if your nozzle comes with something to secure it to the bag screw this on now).
- At this point most would say fold the bag over your hand and fill with frosting. This is where things can go wrong. I often end up with frosting all over my hand and air bubbles in my piping bag.
- To avoid this place the empty piping bag noddle down into and empty water glass. Then fold the edges of the bag down over the top of the glass. leaving you with an open piping bag that you can easily fill.
- Now using a spatula fill your piping bag pushing the frosting down as you go until it’s about 2/3 or the way full.
- Lastly bring up the edges of the bag and twist to close up. This pressure should push out any air bubbles in your piping bag and ensure all of your frosting is neat and tidy in the bag.
- From here decorate away! And to refill use the same method.
Now that you know the easy way to fill a piping bag you need some frosting to go into it. I have a Master Recipe for Buttercream Frosting that you will find really easy to make. If you are more of a chocolate fan then you will love my Chocolate Fudge Frosting recipe. These frosting go great on my Best Ever Chocolate cake and my Vanilla Birthday Cake recipe . Either one, you can’t go wrong.
Did you like this baking tip? I have lots more short videos just like this one that will help you get baking confidently in the kitchen. Get more Bold Baking Basics.
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.