This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
WHAT YOU GET: Soft, creamy applesauce that instantly melts in your mouth. This delicious Homemade Applesauce recipe is so simple and only takes 35 minutes using just 3 ingredients and 3 tools.
My Homemade Applesauce is one of the easiest recipes you’ll ever encounter. My mum used to make this recipe, and it went perfectly with yogurt as a snack. Coming from Ireland, we use Bramley apples to make purees and crumble, but the variety isn’t readily available in the States. However, every country has different apples that are equally delicious. The great thing about my Homemade Applesauce recipe is that you can use any apple to your liking!
Another brilliant thing about my Homemade Applesauce is that it can be used in baking. It’s the secret ingredient to moist cakes and a great substitute for eggs. If applesauce isn’t available where you live, I’ll show you how to make my quick and easy Homemade Applesauce!
What Kind Of Apples Should I Use To Make Applesauce?
You can use any variety of apples for my Homemade Applesauce recipe, but I recommend Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Jonagold, and Bramley apples. These apple varieties soften and cook down very well. Feel free to also mix and match different kinds of apples to play around with the flavor!
Since you don’t have to use crisp apples, this is also the perfect opportunity to use dented or bruised apples in your pantry!
Does Adding Applesauce To My Recipes Affect The Flavor?
Adding my Homemade Applesauce shouldn’t affect the flavor of your baked goods unless you are very sensitive to the apple taste. If you’re unsure, incorporate small amounts into your recipes as you begin.
Can You Substitute Applesauce For Eggs?
My Homemade Applesauce is the secret ingredient to making any recipes extra moist, and they are a great substitute for eggs. Baking with applesauce is as easy as using my handy Egg Substitutes Chart. which gives you the best ways to use applesauce in different desserts like cakes, cookies, and brownies along with the substitute measurements you’ll need.
Tools You Need To Make Homemade Applesauce:
- Measuring cups
- Medium saucepan
- Immersion blender (alternatively, potato masher)
How Long Can You Keep Homemade Applesauce?
Store your Homemade Applesauce in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. They also freeze really well, so you can freeze them in labeled Ziplock bags or even in ice cube trays. I find it really helpful to have them on hand for baking emergencies or even to serve with pork for dinner. The sweet puree compliments the pork really well – give it a try!
Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips For Making The Best Homemade Applesauce:
- No immersion blender or potato masher? Use a fork to mash the applesauce!
- If you don’t have any sugar on hand, try honey instead! Make sure to add a little less honey than the amount of sugar to avoid a strong flavor.
- Peel your apples for a smoother applesauce.
Get More Delicious Apple Recipes Here:
- Incredibly Moist Applesauce Muffins
- My Mum’s Irish Apple Cake
- Delectable Caramel Apple Pie
- Classic Irish Apple Tart
- Apple Cider Donut Cake
- The Perfect Apple Honey Cobbler
Watch The Recipe Video!
Homemade Applesauce Recipe
- 4 apples* (peeled, cored, and chopped)
- ¾ Cup (6oz/170g) water
- ¼ Cup (2oz/57g) sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for twenty minutes.
- With an immersion blender, blend applesauce until smooth.
- Serve warm or cold. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze it.