Hi Bold Bakers!
I wanted to try my hand at taking a traditional Spanish dessert and making it in a microwave. I think you will agree that the journey was fruitful. A Microwave Churro in a Mug has all of the qualities of the famous dessert including cinnamon sugar and chocolate but it’s mixed and cooked in just one mug.
Bold Baking Tips for Mug Meals
The cook time is based on my microwave which is 1200 Watts so your cook time may vary depending on the wattage of your microwave. When in doubt check your mug meal after 45 seconds just to make sure it is cooking ok. You can always cook it for 30 second intervals if you wish. Also, the mugs I use are small, roughly 6oz (¾ /1 cup) but feel free to use bigger.
Mug recipes are real meals made fast. They are satisfying, single-serving recipes made with real food. For even more convenience, make them up the night before for a fast breakfast in the morning.
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/16 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon flavorless oil (vegetable, canola, sunflower)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoons roughly chopped chocolate
- In a microwave safe mug mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and cinnamon
- Add in the vegetable oil and milk. Stir until this comes together into smooth batter ( Not to worry if there are a few lumps)
- Spoon the chopped chocolate into the center of the batter.
- Microwave for 45 seconds to 1minute or until the cake has risen and is firm to the touch (timing is based on my 1200W microwave so your timing might vary)
- Combine the additional cinnamon and sugar then generously sprinkle on top. Enjoy straight away!
Cooking time will vary greatly depending on your microwave and the width and depth of the mug. The mugs I use are small, roughly 6oz (¾ /1 cup)
Always keep a close eye on your mug while in the microwave so it doesn’t over flow or over cook.
⅛ teaspoon is simply a ½ of a ¼ teaspoon
1/16 teaspoon is simply a ¼ of a ¼ teaspoon
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
19 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.