This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Hi Bold Bakes!
If you’ve ever made lemon curd, you know it can be quite the process, requiring your full attention, lots of patience, straining, and waiting. Well, guess what? There’s a way to cut to the chase and it’ll have you making lemon curd from scratch in 4 minutes! I couldn’t just keep this a secret, so here it is, my Quick and Easy Microwave Lemon Curd Recipe — perfect for my No-Bake Lemon Meringue Cheesecake!
Rich, creamy, thick and bright this lemon curd is the real deal made with so much ease in a fraction of the time!
Why won’t my lemon curd thicken?
The lemon curd may seem like it is a bit thin after the first few rounds in the microwave, but continue to stir and it will thicken into a thick and glossy syrup-like texture. If it appears to be thin after microwaving for the full time, not to worry — this is normal too! The lemon curd will thicken and become more gel-like after cooling fully, so factor that in.
How can you tell when Lemon Curd is done?
The lemon curd is done when it coats the back of a spoon nicely. Additionally, it will become more opaque, forming a lovely sold bright yellow color. This is how you know the eggs are cooked.
What desserts use lemon curd?
Lemon curd is one of my favorite things to keep on hand as it really dresses up everything from cakes and ice cream to fresh berries and cream. I love lemon curd between the layers of my Lemon Meringue Cake.
How do I store Lemon Curd?
My Microwave Lemon Curd will keep fresh in the fridge for 3-4 weeks. All you have to do is put it in an airtight container, or a nice jar, and lay cling wrap directly on the surface to prevent it from forming a skin. This makes a lovely gift as well, and no one will ever know you made it in a matter of minutes.
Tips and tricks to making Quick and Easy Microwave Lemon Curd:
- DO NOT be tempted to use store-bought lemon juice, you need the fresh flavor and acidity provided by real lemons to make the right flavor
- To easily juice your lemons, use a fork or a reamer to get out all that juice
- Use a small microplane to zest your lemons, this way you get the most zest and leave behind the bitter pith of the lemon
- Always start with room temperature eggs
- Use coconut sugar to make this with an unrefined sugar
- Strain your lemon curd after its cooked to ensure there are no bits of cooked egg or lemon seeds.
Get More Microwave Recipes!
And don’t forget to visit Bigger Bolder Baking on Pinterest!
Quick & Easy Microwave Lemon Curd Recipe
- 3/4 cup (6oz/170g) sugar
- 3 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup (4floz/115ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (4 oz/115g) butter , melted and cooled slightly
- In a large microwavable bowl, combine the sugar and eggs, whisking until smooth. Then, stir in lemon juice, lemon zest, and the butter.
- Microwave the lemon and egg mixture for 3-4 minutes in 45-second intervals, stirring between each interval until the mixture is thick. What you're looking for is the lemon curd to be just thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Transfer the lemon curd to a bowl and cover with a layer of cling wrap, directly touching the curd. This will keep the curd from forming a skin. Allow for full cooling.
- When cool, cover and refrigerate the lemon curd.
- The curd will keep covered in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.