Hi Bold Bakers!
Red Velvet Cake is a magical chocolate cake that is synonymous with Valentine’s Day. This Red Velvet Mug Cake recipe was part of my first Microwave Mug Cake YouTube video which has now been viewed more than 5 Million times! Now, with more than 100 Mug recipes including savory Mug Meals, I’ve gotten kind of good at this microwave recipe thing.
As a professionally-trained chef originally from Ireland, I never thought I’d be making cakes in the microwave. But here’s the thing, microwave mug cakes are what I call the gateway to baking. You may not think baking is for you but do you love single-serving cakes made from good ingredients in minutes? Well, then welcome to the Bold Baking Community!
Bold Baking Tips for Mug Cakes & Meals
The cook time is based on my microwave which is 1200 Watts so your cook time may vary depending on the wattage of your microwave. When in doubt check your mug meal after 45 seconds just to make sure it is cooking ok. You can always cook it for 30 second intervals if you wish. Also the mugs I use are small, roughly 6oz (¾ /1 cup) but feel free to use bigger.
I have many more Bold Baking Tips on how to make the perfect mug cake every time. If you like my Mug Cakes & Meals, you can get more recipes like a Mug Churro, Mug Donut and even a Mug Pizza! Get almost 100 Mug Recipes on my Gemma’s Mug Meals Collection page.
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4½ tablespoons sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk (substitute sour cream or yogurt if not available)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoons red food coloring
- Mix all the wet ingredients together into an oversized mug using a fork until batter is smooth.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined
- Cook in microwave for 50 seconds. (every microwave is different so cooking may vary)
- Be careful not to overcook as batter will become dense and rubbery.
- Let cake cool slightly before piping on cream cheese frosting.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
5 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.