This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
WHAT YOU GET: Made with sweet sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil, my Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Cheese will send you on a day trip to Italy!
Who doesn’t love a fresh, chewy bagel topped with cream cheese in the morning? It’s a crowd-pleaser if I’ve ever seen one! But if you really want to up the ante and impress your brunch guests (or care to indulge yourself a little during the workweek), you need to whip up this easy homemade Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Cheese.
This lovely breakfast recipe takes just three ingredients: my light and fluffy Whipped Cream Cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh basil. Sometimes, all you need for a decadent treat are the most simple add-ins. All you need to do is combine these three ingredients for one of my favorite flavored cream cheese recipes!
Sun-dried tomatoes, basil, cream cheese, and a slightly salty bagel have the perfect balance of sweet and savory! The mild cream cheese is paired with the intense sweetness from the sun-dried tomatoes, but the basil gives this cream cheese a savory, herbal balance.
What Do Sun-Dried Tomatoes Taste Like?
Sun-dried tomatoes are tomatoes that were picked ripe but left to dry out in the sun until almost all of the moisture has evaporated. As a result, you’re left with a slightly chewy dried tomato that has all the nutrients as it did when it was picked from the vine.
The taste is like a tomato but extremely heightened because all the flavors have concentrated. It’s slightly tart but undeniably sweet.
Fresh basil perfectly compliments the tomatoes. If you’re wondering what basil tastes like, I would describe it as an herb that gives off savory hints. It almost tastes like black pepper at first, but it ends with a bit of sweetness, almost like mint.
Sun-Dried Tomatoes Packed In Oil Vs. Dry
For this recipe, I bought whole (or halved) sun-dried tomatoes that I chopped up to add to the cream cheese. I also use the kind that has been stored in oil, as I prefer the texture, and I don’t feel the need to rehydrate them as opposed to the dry-packed ones. Be sure you drain the oil before using!
Be sure to read the ingredients on the jar, as some sun-dried tomatoes come already seasoned with herbs.
Which Sun-Dried Tomatoes Are The Best?
Not every brand of sun-dried tomatoes should be treated equally!
If you’re looking for sun-dried tomatoes in the grocery store, you’ll likely find them in the aisle with the herbs and spices or near the pasta aisle. Depending on your store, they could have a lot of brands to choose from!
Personally, I like the brands Bella Sun Luci, Raley’s, and Good & Gather. I also love Trader Joe’s sun-dried tomatoes! I find these brands have the best flavor and texture, but feel free to use your preferred brand or experiment to find what you like best. You’ll find plenty of sun-dried tomato recipes online, so they won’t go to waste! I like to top my salads with my extra.
Tools You Need To Make Basil And Sun-Dried Tomato Flavored Cream Cheese:
Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips For Making Cream Cheese With Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- If your sun-dried tomatoes come already sliced, use roughly 3 tablespoons.
- Instead of basil, you can use fresh oregano or a teaspoon of dried Italian herb blend.
- Replace the herbs with a tablespoon of olive tapenade for a different but equally Italian twist!
- Make sure the cream cheese is softened, or it won’t whip up smoothly.
- Full-fat cream cheese makes for the best-textured results.
- You can double this recipe for a crowd.
- Serve this with Homemade Bagels!
Find More Tasty Spreads Here:
- Jalapeno Cheddar Cream Cheese
- Garlic And Chive Cream Cheese
- 3 Homemade Cream Cheese Flavors For The Perfect Bagel Bite
- How to Make Homemade Flavored Butters
- 7 Easy Compound Butter Flavors
Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Cheese
- 5 whole sun-dried tomatoes
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 recipe Whipped Cream Cheese
- Finely dice the sun-dried tomatoes and basil leaves.
- Add this to a medium bowl along with the crushed garlic and whipped cream cheese. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.