This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Chocolate and banana is a truly underrated flavor combination. The bitterness of the chocolate helps balance the sweetness of the banana, and in this banana bread brownie recipe, those bananas should be extra ripe and extra sweet!
This homemade banana bread brownie recipe is rich and wonderfully moist — no dry brownies here. I would say this recipe yields a dessert that is more like a brownie than banana bread, texture-wise.
While I love a good banana bread, sometimes you do have to mix things up a bit! This is a perfect recipe to use up those bananas you have laying around, or stuffed in your freezer.
What Are Banana Bread Brownies?
Banana bread brownies are an incredible combination of two flavors I love. It’s part banana bread, part brownie. You essentially are making two bowls of different flavors, then combining them in one pan to bake. The texture is chewy and moist, like brownies.
What You Need To Make Banana Bread Brownies
How Do I Make Banana Bread Brownies
These unique brownies are very easy to make and the final product looks (and tastes) beautiful. Here is how you make banana bread brownies (get all the measurements down below):
- First, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and butter and line an 8×8-inch (20x20cm) baking pan.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract together.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and then divide the batter evenly into 2 separate bowls.
- In one bowl, stir in the cocoa powder and chopped chocolate. In the other bowl, stir in the mashed bananas.
- Pour the banana batter into your prepared pan. Then, dollop heaping scoops of the chocolate batter randomly over the banana batter.
- Take a butter knife and swirl the chocolate batter through the banana batter. Don’t mix it completely, we’re creating a marbled look.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting.
Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips For Making Banana Bread Brownies
- As always, the riper the banana the better! That goes for any sort of banana bread you are baking.
- Instead of bittersweet chopped chocolate, you can use milk or white chocolate if you prefer.
- For more texture and flavor, add a ½ cup (2½oz/71g) of chopped toasted walnuts or pecans to the banana bread portion of the batter.
- When you are swirling the batters together, use a light touch so you don’t overmix the batter and lose the marbled effect.
- Make banana bread brownie sundaes with my homemade vanilla ice cream and salted caramel sauce or hot fudge.
- You can double this recipe and bake it in a 9×13-inch (23x33cm) pan for a larger crowd. The baking time will be a bit longer – just keep an eye on it and text with a skewer until done.
How Do I Store Banana Bread Brownies?
You can store leftover brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze these brownies for up to 2 months. Defrost them at room temperature or in the microwave for a minute before serving.
Get more Banana Bread recipes:
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe below!
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 45 mins
If you think you have to choose between making banana bread and brownies, think again with my easy Banana Bread Brownies recipe!
Author: Gemma Stafford
Servings: 12 brownies
- ¾ cup (3¾oz/105g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (4oz/115g) butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups (12oz/340g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup (2oz/57g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup (3oz/85g) bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 large (10oz/284g) very ripe bananas, mashed
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and butter and line with parchment an 8x8-inch (20x20cm) baking pan. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients and then divide the batter evenly into 2 separate bowls.
In one bowl, sift in the cocoa powder and stir in the chopped chocolate.
In the other bowl, stir in the mashed banana.
Dollop the brownie batter into the prepared pan, then pour over the banana batter.
Take a butter knife and swirl the chocolate batter through the banana batter without mixing it completely, to create a marbled look.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle, comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost at room temperature or in the microwave for a minute.
This Recipe Made By Bold Bakers