This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
I call this recipe decadent for a reason! These caramel brownies are fudgy, gooey, rich, sweet, perfection! Each mouthful is filled with a delicious chocolate taste – and if you pair it with my Signature Salted Caramel Sauce, you’ll also get an incredible chewy, sweet and salty caramel bite.
Is there anything better than salted caramel and chocolate?
This homemade caramel brownie recipe is all about flavor layering. The salt in my salted caramel sauce and the bittersweet chocolate in this recipe combine nicely to overthrow any intense sugar rush you may be afraid of — and on top of that, the caramel swirls throughout looks simply beautiful!
What You Need To Make Caramel Brownies
In addition to the necessary ingredients, you’ll just need a few things from around the kitchen to make these brownies, including:
How To Make Caramel
Making a great caramel sauce is actually very simple to do — and I firmly believe every baker should have a great recipe in their back pockets to pair with any dessert. For me, that’s my Signature Salted Caramel Sauce. It’s a recipe I go to again and again, and holds a special place in my refrigerator, as well as my heart!
While easy, making this sauce does take some patience. Simply put, you just have to heat the ingredients (granulated sugar and water) correctly and then add butter!
How To Make Caramel Brownies
This recipe essentially calls for a perfect brownie batter and added caramel to make it even more delicious. Here’s how it works (and don’t forget to get the full recipe with measurements, down below):
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar, water, and chocolate. Microwave until chocolate has melted, around 2-3 minutes.
- Let the mix cool slightly then whisk in eggs, oil, and vanilla extract. Then, sift in dry ingredients, mixing just until a batter is formed.
- Directly into the batter, swirl in 1/4 cup of My Signature Salted Caramel Sauce, or storebought sauce.
- Pour batter into buttered and lined baking pan and swirl remainder of caramel sauce on top.
- Important step: sprinkle sea salt on top to layer on that flavor!
- Bake for 55-65 minutes at 350°F (180°C).
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, pile on some vanilla ice cream, and go to town!
Gemma’s Pro Tips For Caramel Brownies
- DO NOT OVERCOOK! Brownies continue to cook when you take them out of the oven, so you will want to remove they still feel soft in the middle, but have firm edges.
- Don’t over mix the batter. You want to make sure there are no streaks of flour throughout, but overmixing leads to tough brownies.
- Use bittersweet chocolate (70%). The darker chocolate makes the brownies perfectly rich and not overly sweet.
- Don’t forget to season your brownies! Salt serves as a best friend to both caramel and chocolate, and it truly takes the brownies to another level.
- If you can’t have eggs, check out my 7 Best Egg Substitutes in Baking!
How To Store Caramel Brownies
Caramel brownies can be covered and kept at room temperature for up to 4 days. But this recipe also freezes really well! Freeze the caramel brownies for up to 4 weeks and defrost in a microwave to enjoy later.
This is a great recipe to explore your tastebuds and learn to trust yourself as a baker! Don’t be afraid of adding salt to your chocolate or caramel — I’m positive that the taste won’t just surprise you, but it will make you reach for sea salt every time you bake with caramel.
Make More Brownies!
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking cookbook for 115 recipes!
Full (and printable) recipe below!