This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
One of the most important days of the year just passed for me: my dog Waffles had his 6th birthday!
Waffles is my best companion and one of my best friends! I don’t know about you, but as a huge animal lover, I love to celebrate my puppy’s birthday with a gorgeous dog-friendly birthday cake. This adorable cake is packed with ingredients that are not only great for dogs but ingredients that they love the taste of. Made with whole wheat flour, peanut butter, eggs, applesauce, grated carrot, and just a touch of honey, this cake is wholesome and the perfect Dog Birthday Cake for your furry friend!
Do you have to bake a dog cake?
Made with similar ingredients to a whole wheat carrot cake, my Dog Birthday Cake recipe is whipped up and baked just like a regular cake. The pup-friendly cake batter is super quick to whip up so celebrating your dog’s birthday is no chore at all.
In one bowl I simply whisk together the ingredients then divide the batter between 2 small 6-inch tins. Filled with natural peanut butter (without xylitol), fresh carrots, and applesauce, this cake has lots of nourishing ingredients for your doggy. They love the flavor of the carrot and peanut butter. Please just make sure that the peanut butter you use is smooth, not salted, and free from xylitol.
Can humans have some dog cake?
The funny thing is, this cake can absolutely be eaten by you, your friends, and family as well! Since there is just a touch of honey in the cake it’s not particularly sweet, though. So while I would not suggest serving this cake at a dinner party, it is totally safe for all to eat.
How long will a dog birthday cake last?
Just like a regular cake, this Dog Birthday Cake can be covered in cling wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 3 days. I love to save leftovers and dole out little bits as treats after Waffles’s birthday party. This cake also freezes really well. To save some of the cake and use at a later time simply allow it to defrost at room temperature until soft.
Get More Dog-Friendly Recipes!
Don’t forget to follow Bigger Bolder Baking on Pinterest!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Dog Birthday Cake Recipe For Your Furry Friend
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (2floz/57ml) flavorless oil
- 1/3 cup (4oz/115g) applesauce
- 1/3 cup (2 ½ oz/71g) peanut butter*
- 1 cup (5oz/142g) carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup (5oz/142g) whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- additional peanut butter for frosting, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and line 2 (6-inch) round cake pans with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, apple sauce, peanut butter, carrot, and honey until smooth.
- Next, stir in the flour and baking powder until combined. Divide the batter between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cooling in the pan for 3-5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Let cool to room temperature.
- Stack layers together using a thin layer of peanut butter. Serve a little slice to your furry friend.
- Cover the cake with cling wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Freeze the rest in slices to give as a treat in the future.