This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
You know those big bakery-style chocolate muffins that are really soft on the inside and just rich with chocolate? Well, you will be happy to know that I have searched long and hard and finally found it — my Bakery-Style Double Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe!
What’s the Best Chocolate For Double Chocolate Chip Muffins?
Semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate is best! They give you the perfect balance of sweet and rich, deep chocolate flavor. Milk chocolate is more sugar than actual cocoa solids which just won’t serve this recipe well.
Why Did My Muffins Deflate?
Huh, this I’m sure is very rare, however, if your muffins did deflate it might come down to opening the oven while baking. My rule of thumb is DO NOT open the oven within at least the first 15 minutes of baking (or about ¾ way through the time indicated in the recipe), but preferably you would leave it longer. Opening and closing the oven can cause your muffins to fall and collapse.
[ Looking for something other than Chocolate? Try my Best-Ever Blueberry Muffins! ]
Can You Overmix Muffins?
Yes! And this is one of those recipes where you want to err on the side of caution and under mix rather than over mix. Over mixing develops the gluten in the flour and we don’t want that for muffin making. The less you mix, the softer your muffins will be.
How do I store them?
Store the muffins at room temperature in an airtight container. Also, a great trick is to freeze the raw batter in the cupcake lines then you can defrost and bake-off fresh chocolate muffins whenever you want them.
Something like a chocolate chip muffin is best enjoyed within the first 48 hours to have it at its very best. Personally, I ate mine in the first 48 minutes.
Tips and Tricks for Making Bakery-Style Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Use bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate for this recipe so you get an extra rich chocolate muffin
- Freeze the raw batter in the cupcake liners to be baked off fresh anytime
- Just like a pancake batter, just mix until the muffins come together because you don’t want to over mix
- Be careful not to open the oven door during the first 15 minutes of baking (or about ¾ way through the time indicated in the recipe), or the chocolate muffins can deflate
- Eat your muffins within 48 hours to have them at their best
Don’t forget to follow Bigger Bolder Baking on Pinterest!
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 18 mins
Bakery-style muffins are BIG muffins with BIG & BOLD flavor — and this Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe is my Best-Ever!
Author: Gemma Stafford
Servings: 9 Muffins
- ½ cup (2 ½oz/71g) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (1 ⅓oz/37g) cocoa powder , unsweetened
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup (4oz/115g) bittersweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup (4floz/115ml) oil (canola, veg, sunflower, coconut)
- ⅔ cup (4oz/115g) dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs , room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup (2 ½oz/71g) plain yogurt, room temperature
- ½ cup (3oz/85g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a 12 cup muffin pan with 9 paper liners.
In a bowl, sieve together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate large bowl, melt the ⅔ cup chocolate. You can do this gently in the microwave or over a bain-Marie.
Once the chocolate has cooled, whisk in the oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and yogurt.
Into the chocolate mixture, fold in the 1/2 cup chocolate chips and the bowl of dry ingredients until just combined. Take care not to over mix this batter as it will toughen the muffins.
Spoon the batter into the 9 prepared liners, filling them to the top. Top each muffin with a few extra chocolate chips.
Bake for roughly 17-18 minutes. Take care not to over bake or your muffins will be dry. You want the muffin to still be a little soft when you press on top.
Once cooled store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Pour the raw batter into the liners and pop into the freezer. Then when you want fresh, warm muffins defrost the batter and bake as instructed in the video.
This Recipe Made By Bold Bakers