Hi Bold Bakers!
Box cakes are so simple to use because all you do is combine the pack of dry cake mix with some wet ingredients. What could be easier? I’ll tell you what, my Homemade Dry Cake Mix! And just like box cake you just need to add liquid. It’s time to start thinking outside of the box cake and start to look at what is actually in the cakes that you are eating.
In the pretty box of cake mix there is everything but the kitchen sink. You probably don’t know or can’t pronounce half of the stuff that goes in there. However there’s a new kid in town, my Homemade Dry Cake Mix. Made with pronounceable ingredients like flour and salt it is better for you than store bought and the final results are second to none.
Mix my Dry Cake Mix with some simple ingredients like eggs, oil and buttermilk to yield you a beautifully soft and fluffy cake. This eliminates the need to ever use store-bought boxed cake again. And it lasts for 2 months in the cupboard until you need to whip up a cake in a snap.
- 3 ⅓ cups (1lb 1oz/500g) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups (12oz/355g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (3 oz/90g) light brown sugar
- To make a cake add:
- 1 cup (8oz/240g) flavorless oil
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 cups (16oz/500g) Buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, optional
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, both sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Place into a sealable bag and store for up to 2 months.
- To make a cake: Preheat oven to 350F (180oC). Grease and line a 2x 9-inch cake tins or 3 6-inch cake tins.
- Into the dry cake mix, whisk in the eggs, oil and buttermilk until combined. Add in vanilla extract if desired.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix to form a smooth batter.
- Pour batter into prepared cake tins. Bake for 35-40 minute or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Store for up to 2 months or freeze for up to 4 months.
Looking for more cake recipes? try my Best Ever Chocolate Cake or my Vanilla Birthday Cake.
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.