Hi Bold Bakers!
By popular demand from my No Machine Ice Cream video, I’m showing you how to make homemade Honeycomb. It’s a crunchy, toffee caramel that you can add to my homemade Ice Cream or coat in chocolate to make your own “Crunchie” candy bar. So let’s get baking!
- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup or honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda (AKA bicarb of soda) NOT BAKING POWDER
- First, prepare your tray. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, or grease a marble surface with flavorless oil (like I did in the video)
- READ FULLY THESE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE COOKING YOUR CARAMEL:
- Place the pot on the heat with the sugar and golden syrup(or honey) and let the mixture first melt, then turn to goo. Turn up the heat to medium and let the it simmer until the color of maple syrup -THIS TAKES 3 MINUTES, SET A TIMER!!! take care not to over cook.
- Turn Off the heat, and get prepared with your whisk and spatula because the next step happens really fast. Whisk in the bicarbonate of soda , fast and stand back and watch the syrup turn into a whooshing cloud of aerated pale gold. Quickly stop whisking and use your spatula to pour this immediately onto a piece of baking parchment or greased surface or a silpat .
- Leave until set cold and then bash at it, so that it splinters into many glinting pieces. To wash your pot fill it with hot water and let it sit and it will melt away.
- To make a crunchie bar: Melt good qualitybchocolate (i used 72% but you can go lower). Dip your broken honeycomb in the chocolate using a fork. Take out and let excess chocolate drip off. Place on a wire wrack to set.
- TIP: IF YOU LIVE IN A HUMID CLIMATE THE HONEYCOMB MIGHT GET STICKY AND MELT SLIGHT. IT LIKES DRY AIR. IF THIS HAPPENS, STORE THEM IN THE FREEZER AND THEY WILL BE PERFECT. :-
Take care when using honey as it burns fast then golden syrup
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
12 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.