This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Sometimes we just need to get away from it all, and usually, it’s just when we can’t. Why is it that days can feel endless and yet time just never seems to stop? I was really busy before I became a mother, and now — well, getting through my days and actually checking things off my list feels like a small miracle. How do I make this happen? Here’s my secret: If we honor our downtime with the same reverence as we do our productive time, we actually can have the energy to get it all done.
Here is where I urge you to stop, put down whatever it is you are trying to finish, sneak away into the kitchen, and make my delightful Lemon Blueberry Muffins! They take no time at all to mix together and before you know it, you will be nourishing your senses with the smell and taste of tart lemons, fresh blueberries, and a soft, sweet muffin. Make a few minutes feel like a long, quiet morning, and get the break you need with my Lemon Blueberry Muffins!
What Are Lemon Blueberry Muffins?
Lemon blueberry muffins are simply my muffin recipe with fresh or frozen blueberries and lemon zest added in. Lemon zest is the very outer yellow part of the lemon skin – it is what lemon extract is made from, and it gives my muffins a bright, fresh flavor. I don’t use lemon juice because when baked, the flavor is too subtle, and lemon extract can give a bitter taste.
What You Need To Make Lemon Blueberry Muffins
How To Make Lemon Blueberry Muffins
This is honestly as simple as mix and bake! Can you imagine having Lemon Blueberry Muffins ready for breakfast? Heaven. Here’s how easy it is (and don’t forget to get the full recipe with measurements, down below):
- Preheat the oven to 375° (190°C) and line 8 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a bowl, mix sugar, egg, yogurt, oil, milk, vanilla and lemon zest.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon batter evenly into the 8 prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool in the tin for ten minutes before removing from tin.
How Do I Store Lemon Blueberry Muffins?
Store these muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. These muffins can also be frozen in an airtight container for up to two months. Defrost in a 300°F (150°C) oven or just pop in the microwave for a minute.
Enjoying my recipes? Upload a photo and leave a review further down on the page, please!
Gemma’s Pro Tips for Making Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- The best zest: A microplane makes zesting quick work. A fine, sharp cheese grater will work if you don’t have a microplane. Either way, when zesting, make sure to only remove the yellow part of the skin and try not to get any of the white pith which can give the muffins a bitter taste.
- Another zest tip! Zest can clump up. When mixing the zest into your wet ingredients, check to make sure that it is evenly distributed through your batter before you add the dry ingredients.
- Any blueberries will do! Fresh or frozen blueberries will work fine in the recipe. If they are frozen, do not defrost before mixing into your batter!
- You can use other berries! You can replace the blueberries with an equal amount of fresh or frozen raspberries or blackberries so something different but just as delicious. I don’t recommend strawberries as they release too much water and can result in a soggy muffin.
Make More Muffins!
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking cookbook for more recipes!
Full (and printable) recipe below!