This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
YES, you can cook rice to perfection in the microwave. All you need is a large bowl, quick cooking rice and my Microwave Mug Cheese and Broccoli Rice Bowl recipe.
This recipe cooks 3 times faster than making it in a pot. It’s also incredibly cheap to make, AND you just need a small amount of ingredients to make it a full meal.
Are you living in a dorm? Do you have limited time or resources to make meals? If the answer is yes, then Mug Meals are for you. My Microwave Mug Cheese and Broccoli Rice Bowl is fast, inexpensive and easy to make but most importantly delicious. My Mug Meals are real food fast, not fast food.
Microwave until the rice is fully cooked. The reason you place a plate on top is to steam the rice as it microwaves. It makes nice, fluffy rice that way.
Cooking time given is based on my 1200W Panasonic Inverter Microwave so your timing might vary. I suggest checking it after 2 1/2 minutes and go from there.
Get 100 more Mug Meal recipes on Gemma’s Mug Meals collection page.
Watch The Recipe Video!
Microwave Broccoli and Cheese Rice Bowl in a Mug
- 5 tablespoons rice (quick cooking)
- ⅔ cup (5oz/150g) cold water
- 2 broccoli florets (finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch (corn flour)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons grated cheddar
- Salt to taste
- In a very large, microwavable bowl add in your rice, broccoli and cold water. Place a plate over the top of the bowl. It’s best to use a quick cooking as it cooks faster.
- Microwave for 3 ½ - 4 minutes. Keep a close eye on it as it cooks as the water can overflow if the bowl is too small.
- When the rice is fully cooked, remove from the microwave and mix in cornstarch, milk, grated cheese, milk and a pinch of salt.
- Place back in the microwave to heat the ingredients together, around 1 minute 30 seconds. The cornstarch needs to get hot for it to activate. It helps to create a thick sauce for your rice bowl
- Enjoy your Homemade Rice warm, straight from the microwave.