Hi Bold Bakers!
As you have seen on Bigger Bolder Baking before, pizza comes in all different shapes and sizes around here. This recipe might actually blow your mind because these are Pizza Cupcakes! Yes, you read that right. It’s a pizza masquerading as a cupcake but it’s still a pizza.
It has all the components that you love about pizza: sauce, mozzarella, herbs and pepperoni. All of these ingredients are held together by a savory cupcake. It’s a very basic dough that is soft and almost spongy, which is perfect to soak up tomato sauce. Imagine what a biscuit would be like with all of those toppings and that’s pretty much what you are getting.
If pepperoni isn’t your jam then feel free to add in your favorite pizza toppings like olives, mushrooms, or pesto. Think of these cupcakes as a blank canvas on which you have creative license to go nuts!
- 1½ cups (7½ oz/225g) Plain/AP flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ cups (12oz/360ml) milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup (4oz/120g) store-bought pizza sauce or my homemade pizza sauce
- 1 cup (8oz/240g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup (2oz/60g) mini pepperoni or cooked sausage
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190oC) and liberally grease a muffin time with olive oil.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, herbs and salt
- Next while in the milk and eggs until combined
- Add about 2 tablespoons of batter to each cupcake then add a layer of cheese followed by sauce, then cheese again. This will insure the sauce staying in the center the cupcake.
- Lastly top with a few mini pepperonis. Repeat the process until you've filled all 12 cupcakes
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the remaining batter on the top of each pizza cupcake
- Top each pizza cupcake with as much additional cheese and pepperoni as you'd like
- Bake until lightly browned and puffed, about 20-25 minutes. Enjoy immediately!
Do you love pizza as much as I do? If so you might also like my Pizza Pop Tarts, my Pizza Scones or of course just a regular but amazing Pizza Dough recipe.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
24 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.