This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
I am beyond proud to be partnering once again with Ghirardelli Chocolate to celebrate the Season of Spring! Whether you’re looking for a showstopping Easter brunch dessert or an impressive flourless treat to make for your Passover spread, this chocolate-centric recipe is for you! But, here’s a secret — nobody is stopping you from making this incredible chocolate dessert year-round. Just take off the festive flair and you’ve got an incredibly sweet treat nobody is going to turn down because of the season.
My 5-Ingredient Flourless Brownie Roll features a double dose of chocolate and looks like it was made by a professional pastry chef. Only you and I will know it was made with just 5 staple ingredients and baked in 15 minutes flat!
How To Melt Chocolate
One of the most important ingredients in this 5-Ingredient Flourless Brownie Roll is obviously the chocolate! For this recipe, I’m using Ghirardelli 60% chocolate chips. These chocolate chips deliver a great depth of flavor and a silky texture, especially once melted and mixed into the brownie roll.
To melt the chocolate chips properly, and add extra moisture to the brownie roll, I melt the chocolate down with a bit of water. I simply do this in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until the chocolate has melted. Then I gently stir until the chocolate is shiny and smooth.
If you don’t own a microwave, you can always use this flourless brownie recipe over a bain marie.
Why Use A Flourless Recipe?
Flourless recipes have multiple benefits. If you’re looking for a gluten-free option for dessert, nothing is better than these flourless chocolate brownies. And on top of that, if you’re out of flour, this flourless brownie recipe save you a trip to the store.
What You’ll Need To Make Flourless Brownies
- Baking tray and parchment paper
- Small bowl
- Stand mixer and bowl with the whisk attachment
- Wire rack
- Serving platter
- Piping bag
- Measuring cups
How To Make Flourless Brownies
This flourless brownie recipe only requires a few simple ingredients and provides you with a new recipe that flips the script on homemade brownies, with limited baking time and no brownie mix needed (get the full recipe with measurements).
- Preheat oven and butter and line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine water and Ghirardelli 60% Chocolate Chips in a small bowl. Melt in microwave.
- Whip eggs on high for 2 to 3 minutes in a bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
- While whipping, stream in sugar and continue to whip for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour in cooled, melted chocolate and Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips. Whip until chocolate is fully mixed. Run a spatula underneath to ensure it’s combined.
- Transfer batter to the baking tray. Sprinkle over some Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips.
- Bake on the middle rack for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 3 to 5 minutes. While warm, gently roll up the roulade.
- Once cooled, lay a towel over it and place it on a cooling rack. Flip the cake and remove the parchment paper from the cake.
- Spread whipped cream over the surface that’s facing you.
- Using the towel, carefully roll the chocolate cake up into a log.
- Lift the cake with the towel onto a platter.
- Garnish roll by drizzling over the ganache.
- Pipe whipped cream down the center of the roll. Place on some Ghirardelli Dark Sea Salt Eggs and Ghirardelli Milk and Caramel Bunnies.
Taste And Consistency
Your final product should have the consistency of a slightly fudgy brownie. Also, there will be some cracks across the surface of the brownie no matter what, but not to worry, crackly tops are part of the charm of the dessert. Also, we are going to cover it with a ganache!
And the taste will be like your favorite Ghirardelli chocolate transformed into a brownie, with a perfect whipped cream center to balance out the flavor landscape.
How Do I Roll My Brownie Roll Without It Cracking?
The trick to my 5-Ingredient Flourless Brownie Roll is beating lots of air into the eggs before adding in the sugar or melted chocolate. This air not only helps the roll to puff up when baking (and become sponge-like), but it adds an almost elastic effect to the roll.
After baking for just a short time I allow the sheet of cake to cool slightly. Then, while still warm, I give the whole thing a careful roll up in the tin. Doing this while warm will ensure that after the roll cools it can be shaped into a perfect spiral shape without cracking.
Can You Substitute the Eggs?
Eggs are an integral part of my 5-Ingredient Flourless Brownie Roll as nothing else whips up or bakes exactly as the eggs do. Since there are so few ingredients in the cake, each one has a very important purpose.
Can You Make A 5-Ingredient Flourless Brownie Roll Ahead of Time?
If you’d like, you can make my 5 Ingredient Brownie Roll ahead of time and fill it the next day. This will ensure the roll has fully cooled and will make entertaining even easier as all you will have to do before serving up the roll is fill it with the whipped cream and roll it up.
To store the pre-made Brownie roll, cover it with cling wrap and store at room temperature until you’re ready to assemble. Also, don’t forget to pre-roll the brownie when it comes out for the oven.
How Long Does the Brownie Roll Last? How Do I Store It?
The chocolate inside keeps the roll rich and maintains the fudgy texture, and of course, the cream ensures it will not dry out. To store the Ghirardelli brownie cake, I suggest covering it tightly with cling wrap and storing it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If You Like This Flourless Brownie Recipe, Try My Triple Grands!
It’s a cookie, in the shape of a cupcake, with cheesecake in the center! Make my Triple Grands recipe!
Stock Up On Your Ghirardelli Chocolate!
Visit Ghirardelli for all your chocolate needs!
Get More Brownies!
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe below!