Hi Bold Bakers! I’ve become known as the Queen of Mug Meals and this is the video and recipes that started it all. Enjoy my 5 amazing 1 Minute Microwave Mug Cakes including Funfetti, Chocolate and Banana (gluten free), Apple Crumble, Red Velvet and Rainbow Cake! These little cakes are impressive treats for after school snacks, birthday surprises or any time of year!
I have 100 Mug Meal recipes you can find on my Gemma’s Mug Meals collection page.
Sign up for my FREE Newsletter so you don’t miss a recipe!
- 2 tablespoons (2oz/ 60g) unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons (50g/ 1 3/4 oz) self-rising flour ( to make SF flour add 2 tsp of baking powder to 150g/6oz/1 cup plain flour)
- tiny pinch of kosher salt
- Place the butter in a large mug and microwave it for 20 to 30 seconds until melted.
- Add the egg and whisk it in with a fork.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla, and sugar.
- Add the flour and salt. Mix the batter with a fork until smooth.
- Divide the batter between two mugs. Microwave separately for 50 seconds each until risen. Take care not to overcook or the cake will dry out fast
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) peanut butter (or any nut butter)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetend cocoa powder
- Mash the banana in a large mug with a fork.
- Add the nut butter and egg and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the sugar and cocoa and beat until smooth.
- Divide the batter between two mugs.
- Microwave separately for 1 minutes each until risen and firm. (every microwave is different so cooking may vary)
- Take care not to over cook or the cake will dry out fast.
- Best eaten straight away
- 4 tbsp flour
- 4 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp buttermilk (substitute sour cream or yogurt if not available)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp red food coloring
- Mix all the wet ingredients together into an oversized mug using a fork until batter is smooth.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined
- Cook in microwave for 50 seconds. (every microwave is different so cooking may vary)
- Be careful not to overcook as batter will become dense and rubbery.
- Let cake cool slightly before piping on cream cheese frosting.
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- crumble topping
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- In a small mug, mix together dry ingredients very well.
- Add applesauce and mix until just combined (it will be thick and sticky) and then add veg oil, milk and vanilla and stir until wet; do not over mix.
- For the crumble: In a separate bowl, combine 1 tbsp of butter, 2 tbsp of flour, 1 tbsp of brown sugar with a fork until combined.
- Microwave on high for about 45 seconds. (every microwave is different so cooking may vary). Take care not to over cook the cake or it will dry out fast.
- Serve with ice cream and salted caramel sauce
- ½ cup (100g) white sugar
- 1 sticks (100g) butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 eggs at room temperature , lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cups (110g/ 4oz) All purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- red , orange, yellow, green, blue, food colouring
- In a large bowl cream the sugar and butter together until light in colour and fluffy in texture - about 3 minutes. Use a hand whisk.
- Crack in an eggs, mix in well, and follow with the nxt egg. and pour in the vanilla extract. Beat for another minute until well combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients until just combined - don't over-mix!
- Divide the mixture as evenly as you can between 5 bowls.
- Add a couple of drops of food colouring to each bowl and mix very gently. - again, do not over-mix!
- Spoon the colors between the 4 mugs one spoonful at a time. Lay the different colored cake batter on top to create a marbled effect
- Microwave for 45 seconds (every microwave is different so cooking may vary)
- Take care not to over cook the cake or it will dry out fast.
- Decorate your cake with my cream cheese frosting. (see Red Velvet cake recipe above)
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
11 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.