Hi Bold Bakers!
Crock Pots never cease to amaze me. There is not much you can’t make in one, and best of all most household own one. So dust it off and crank it up because we are making Apple Pie Filling.
This pie filling is a true traditional pie filling with the flavors you have come to love, however the trick is all of the ingredients are mixed together in a crock pot, then just set it and forget it!
Cook your Apple pie filling until your apples becomes soft and all of the flavors marry together. The apples create their own sauce as the stew with the water and sugar. As you can see you end up with soft and saucy apples.
Store your Hot Apple Pie Filling in sterilized jars. This preserves them so you have fresh pie filling at the ready. Store your Apple Pie Filling for 4-6 weeks at room temperature or in the fridge.
Do you have a recipe for pie crust? Try my perfect pie crust recipe. Also see how to assemble an easy apple crisp pie with some of my easy make ahead tips.
- 9 cups (1150g) diced apple (gala, granny smith)
- 2 tbsp (30mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups (260mL) water
- ¼ cup (32g) cornstarch
- 3 tbsp (45Gg) sugar (brown or white)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- Add the diced apple to a slow cooker, and toss with the lemon juice.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a medium pot until smooth and the cornstarch has completely dissolved. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5-8 minutes or until the mixture starts to thicken and has reduced by a third. Pour the mixture over the apples, and toss until all of the apples are coated.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid, and cook the apples on HIGH heat for 1 1/2-2 hours, gently stirring after every hour, or until the apples are extremely tender. Cool completely to room temperature in the slow cooker before transferring to airtight containers and refrigerating.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
0 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.