Hi Bold Bakers!
An Irish Christmas tradition is to have Mince Pies for dessert on Christmas day. Now that I live in the U.S., I still plan on continuing the tradition with my American family, which consists of my husband Kevin and my dog Waffles. I know I will not have to convince them about the flavor of the pies, but I do have to explain the name.
My Homemade Mincemeat recipe is delicious and is really quick to make. It is bursting with zest and fruit, and best of all it tastes just like my Mums. I’m all for new recipes but at the end of the day, Christmas is about tradition.
Homemade Mince Pies are flakey pockets of fruity heaven. Each individual pie is filled with boozy fruit, citrus and sweetness that just screams Christmas for me.
I serve mince pies at my Holiday party because they are so easy to eat and people who’ve never had them before, just love them. They are so unique tasting that there is nothing quite like them, and if I can mange to convince another person that they don’t contain meat then I’ve done my job.
Make these mince pies part of your family Christmas traditions.
- 1 ⅓ Cup (175g) plain flour
- 7 Tbsp (100g) cold butter, cubed
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp water
- Pinch of salt
- Homemade Mince Meat
- Put flour, butter and icing sugar and salt in a food processor. Pulse until fine crumbs form.
- Mix together the egg yolks and water and add to the dry ingredients.
- Pulse until a dough forms, around 10 seconds.
- Wrap the pastry in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minute to allow the gluten to relax before rolling
- Roll on a floured surface to the fit your tin or pie dish. a good thickness is ¼ inch
- Take a round cutter (around 3 inches) and cut out your circles.
- Place into a butter bun/ cupcake tin
- Fill with your mince meat filling, around 3/4 of the way
- Brush the edge of the pastry with egg wash and lay on another round pastry on top
- Seal the 2 pieces of pastry together with a fork. this keeps the filling and juices
- Bake at 400oF (200oC) for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar. Serve warm with whipped cream
Fully assemble and freeze your mince pies to be baked off from frozen at a later date
Once baked, store at room temperature for up to 3 days
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
3 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.