This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
We’ve got a great, sweet-filled show this week on Knead to Know. I have lots of piping hot takes and opinions this week on everything from how many tiers the optimal cake should have to how I really feel about boxed cake mix. I also hear from Mia about the lasagna trio pan and steel griddles that are taking over baking, and I also reveal my secret love for sheet cakes from a very unexpected place… I’m even drooling thinking about it.
Before we hop into the topics of the week, Mia asks me which desserts I think taste even better the next day and I let her (and you all!) in on a few secrets on how to make your leftover treats, like cake and cook, taste even better the morning after! Here’s what we chatted about this week on the show:
Kelly Ripa’s Three-Tiered Graduation Cake
The Live with Kelly and Ryan star Kelly Ripa showed off the huge cake she had made by B Cake NY for her son’s high school graduation. It is an ENORMOUS three-tier Michigan University celebration cake, topped with photos of his son wrestling and the university’s logo.
Mia’s question for me is: what’s the optimal amount of tiers for a cake… especially one that’s not for a wedding? I have loads to say, so tune in!
Baking Remixed: Boxed Cakes Vs. Homemade Cakes
Mia insists that we have to talk about my feelings on boxed cakes because Boxed Cakes Are Getting Remixed! SHONDALAND has a series revolving around transformed boxed cakes called “Boxed Baking,” and they’ve put out recipes to upgrade different flavored store-bought cake mix with things like fresh puree, jams, frostings, fresh fruit, and sprinkles.
I give all of my most honest thoughts on boxed cake vs. homemade cakes, and if boxed mixes can really be transformed into something better—and how!
Now Trending: Lasagna Trio Pan, Baking Steel Griddles, And Summer Bakeware Must-Haves
In “Now Trending,” Mia and I chat about trending bakeware and discuss whether it’s worth the investment or not. First up is the Lasagna Trio Pan, which many have been using to make deep-dish pizza, banana bread, brownies, sourdough focaccia, and even coffee cake! Next, we go over the Baking Steel Griddle that has amassed over 200 million views on Tik Tok. You might be surprised this week at which one I favor more!
Megan Thee Stallion’s Candy Manicure + Candytopia
Rapper Megan Thee Stallion got a candy-themed manicure that says “sugar” and is complete with a ring pop for a super sweet touch! It has us thinking about Candytopia, which is back after closing down due to COVID! Would I visit the Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory-type interactive museum? And what would I put in my own Candyland funhouse? Join us on the show to find out!
Until Next Week…
Don’t forget — we’re just starting out, so be sure to subscribe, rate the podcast five stars wherever you listen and leave a comment with what you want to see next week if you’re watching on YouTube.
You can follow Mia on Instagram @yourstrulymia and me on Instagram @gemma_stafford and @biggerbolderbaking. See you next week on Knead to Know!
Subscribe & Download Wherever You Listen To Podcasts!
- Apple Podcasts: http://bit.ly/KneadToKnowPod
- Google Podcasts: http://bit.ly/KneadToKnowGoogle
- Spotify: http://bit.ly/KneadToKnowSpot
- Amazon Music: http://bit.ly/KneadToKnowAmzn
- iHeartRadio: http://bit.ly/KneadToKnowiHeart
- Stitcher: http://bit.ly/KneadToKnowStitcher
Check Out Knead To Know‘s Other Season 1 Episodes
You’ll love these recent episodes:
- Knead to Know #19: Oreo Sushi, Galettes vs. Pies
- Knead to Know #18: Ermine vs. Cream Cheese Frosting & Juneteenth
- Knead to Know #17: The $100 Sandwich
- Knead to Know #16: Milkshakes & Favorite LA Food Spots
- Knead to Know #15: Seis Leches Cake & More!
- Knead to Know #14: Kevin Guest Stars!
- Knead to Know #13: Pizza, Wedding Cakes, Gelato
- Knead to Know #12: Singing Cakes & Honeycomb Pasta
- Knead To Know #11: 7 Layer Cookies, Baking with Chocolate
- Knead to Know #10: Disneyland’s Fried Pickle Corn Dogs & More
- Knead to Know #9: Dalia Dogmoch Soubra
- Knead to Know #8: Jerrod Blandino
- Knead to Know #7: Max Kumangai
- Knead to Know #6: Joanne Chang
- Knead to Know #5: Andrew Smyth
- Knead to Know #4: Brian Hart Hoffman
- Knead to Know #3: Zoë François
- Knead to Know #2: Brandi Milloy
- Knead to Know #1: Gemma Stafford
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, a cookbook author, and the creator of Bigger Bolder Baking. I want to help you bake with confidence anytime, anywhere with my trusted and tested recipes and baking tips. You may have seen one of my 500+ videos on YouTube & TikTok or as a guest judge on Nailed It! on Netflix or the Best Baker in America on Food Network. No matter your skills, my Bold Baking Team & I want to be your #1 go-to baking authority.