This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
This week on Knead to Know, Mia is back with me to chat about the hottest trends and takes in baking! Disneyland’s $100 sandwich has us both thinking about the best bread for the ultimate sandwich. IHOP’s spanking new restaurant news got us talking about sublime pancake topics, breakfast charcuterie boards, and an interesting internet pancake trend. And finally, Amy Schumer’s recent birthday cake made me laugh… and also think about what I’d write on a cake for Kevin’s birthday.
At the end of the episode, we answer a great fan question about baking up the best pancakes, so stay tuned! Here’s what we chatted about this week:
Disneyland’s New $100 Sandwich
Disneyland’s new Avenger Campus opened on June 4th, and there is an Avengers-themed Sandwich that is $100! The Ant-Man-inspired Quantum-Sized Pym-ini Sandwich is made for six to eight people to split and is complete with salami, rosemary ham, provolone cheese, and a sun-dried tomato spread on toasted focaccia. I give my thoughts on what I would put on my $100 sandwich — and the best-baked bread and toppings for yummy sandwiches, of course!
IHOP’s New Fast-casual Restaurant, ‘Flip’d’
IHOP is launching a new fast-food chain called ‘Flip’d’ and it’s getting — wait for it — customizable pancake bowls. You’ll have to listen to hear Mia and I’s reaction to this, plus what we’d put in the ULTIMATE pancake bowl.
Also, what do you all think of breakfast charcuterie boards and the pancake cereal trend? Have you tried it, and would you?
Amy Schumer’s Chocolatey, Cheeky Birthday Cake
Let’s talk about a different type of cake: birthday cakes. Last week, Amy Schumer turned 40 and her husband, chef Chris Fischer, made her a chocolate-frosted cake with sprinkles and a message that read “I’m leaving you. This was the only way I could think to do it.” Now that’s my kind of cake.
Mia asks me: are messages on cakes tacky or fun? She also introduces me to Drake on Cake by Joy the Baker (yes, we do a dramatic reading), and we also talk sprinkles on cakes! Join us on the show to hear if we love ‘em or hate ‘em… and we don’t have to discuss my cake decorating skills, alright?
Your Questions, Answered
A fan-submitted a baking story and questioned if she should be using a higher concentration of buttermilk for their pancakes, so I gave it a go and talked through what type of milk is best for pancakes. She also shared a fun trick that worked for amazing, fluffy pancakes — I can’t wait to try it myself!
Until Next Week…
Don’t forget — we’re just starting out, so be sure to subscribe, rate the podcast five stars wherever you listen and leave a comment with what you want to see next week if you’re watching on YouTube.
See you next week on Knead to Know!
Subscribe & Download Wherever You Listen To Podcasts!
- Apple Podcasts: http://bit.ly/KneadToKnowPod
- Google Podcasts: http://bit.ly/KneadToKnowGoogle
- Spotify: http://bit.ly/KneadToKnowSpot
- Amazon Music: http://bit.ly/KneadToKnowAmzn
- iHeartRadio: http://bit.ly/KneadToKnowiHeart
- Stitcher: http://bit.ly/KneadToKnowStitcher
Check Out Knead To Know‘s Other Season 1 Episodes
You’ll love these recent episodes:
- Knead to Know #16: Milkshakes & Favorite LA Food Spots
- Knead to Know #15: Seis Leches Cake & More!
- Knead to Know #14: Kevin Guest Stars!
- Knead to Know #13: Pizza, Wedding Cakes, Gelato
- Knead to Know #12: Singing Cakes & Honeycomb Pasta
- Knead To Know #11: 7 Layer Cookies, Baking with Chocolate
- Knead to Know #10: Disneyland’s Fried Pickle Corn Dogs & More
- Knead to Know #9: Dalia Dogmoch Soubra
- Knead to Know #8: Jerrod Blandino
- Knead to Know #7: Max Kumangai
- Knead to Know #6: Joanne Chang
- Knead to Know #5: Andrew Smyth
- Knead to Know #4: Brian Hart Hoffman
- Knead to Know #3: Zoë François
- Knead to Know #2: Brandi Milloy
- Knead to Know #1: Gemma Stafford
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, a cookbook author, and the creator of Bigger Bolder Baking. I want to help you bake with confidence anytime, anywhere with my trusted and tested recipes and baking tips. You may have seen one of my 500+ videos on YouTube & TikTok or as a guest judge on Nailed It! on Netflix or the Best Baker in America on Food Network. No matter your skills, my Bold Baking Team & I want to be your #1 go-to baking authority.